Monday, February 25, 2013

Post-Promotion Humility


After a big week of Promotion nights, I take a few minutes every Friday and reflect on the past weeks events, and if any changes could have been made. “Tweaking”, we call it. We often learn that things we thought would work didn’t, and things we were worried about, went very well. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but we can always strive to make it even more awesome for the next time.
We now know that we may need to block out more time, have more available seating, and resolve a small parking issue. Nothing earth shattering. Over the years we have streamlined the promotion process, and I have to admit, I was very pleased with how efficient the nights were!
I love my job. When someone asks me what I do for a living, I say I have fun working with my kids. My kids. Not my students, not the yellow belts. My kids. I try my best to take the time out of every class to chat with a few of them. Find out how they are doing, how school is going, what they ate for lunch. It does not matter to me if they are shy, nervous, bold, brave, disabled, blind or outgoing. I want to learn everything about them. It helps me stay grounded, and gives me humility when I think I have it all covered. Promotion nights to me are the times when families come together to watch their child promote, succeed, and overcome challenges. I have seen parents cry, laugh, cheer, and wave banners. It can get a little crazy in the parent seating area sometimes! 
We work very hard to make it a “different” type of fun. When the week is over, complete and utter exhaustion sets in right around 12:00 on Saturday. Our brains are mush. Our bodies are hurting. We are looking for a nice sunny vacation. But then, on Sunday night we remember why we do what we do and pick ourselves up and set up a brand new rotation for the following Monday. New forms, katas, kicks, punches and drills. Exciting stuff! Games, goals, sparring drills, and ASAH Shark silliness. We set our yearly calendars to promotion weeks. It is a goal for us, just like it is for the kids. And for the adults also!
Last week something wonderful happened at one of the promotion nights. One of my kids was very nervous about performing an advanced kata called Tiger. This young woman has been through a lot since the day she came into this world. Over the last five years I have watched her grow and blossom into a lovely, smart, caring, BRAVE person. A front kick five inches off the floor was a huge challenge for her when she first walked into my studio. She never gave up, always tried harder; she sets goals for herself and achieves every one. She earned her Junior Black Belt alongside the rest of her class with zero complaints. With a smile on her face the entire time. Now, if you have tested for your Black Belt, you understand how tough it can be. She pushed the other kids to keep going when they wanted to give up!
Last night, she admitted to me that Tiger kata can be intimidating. I agree! She felt she needed a guide next to her for balance issues. I have to admit, I was nervous, I haven’t performed Tiger in front of a large group in a long time. When it was her turn to perform, I stood right next to her, we did the kata together. And when it was all over, I felt my heart burst out of my chest. I have never been so humbled to the point of tears. I am so incredibly proud of this young lady. A standing ovation, cheers, cow bells were ringing - it was overwhelming. One simple phrase “Thank you Miss Anne” and a HUGE smile on her face made it the best night ever. That was more than enough.
Jenna, you are my inspiration. Thank you for grounding me this week, helping me overcome my personal challenges, and making promotion night at 7:00 Thursday, February 21st the most inspirational night of the year. You ROCK! I wish you success in everything you do in your life. Thank you for being a part of my fun job, and my life. You made me remember why I do what I do and why I love it.
P.S. Tiger kata ROCKS! Chhhh……
Miss Anne
Instructor, Action Karate Newtown

No comments:

Post a Comment