Friday, February 22, 2013

EYE ON THE PRIZE


The air on the Santa Monica pier is usually alive with the emissions of countless biological organisms, giving it that fresh, faintly fish-smelling sourness that lets you know that you're in the midst of life. And this despite the fact that tons of raw sewage are dumped there into the Pacific every day. So, it was a natural choice a few Saturdays ago to head down to the sea for some lunch and some air.

As I got toward the end of the pier, I noticed a large barrel by the door of one of the restaurants. As I got closer I could see that the barrel was full of live crabs, clawing, clanking, crawling all over each other. I looked around and saw no one near the barrel and I thought to myself how could anyone leave a barrel full of crabs outside? Wouldn't more than one of them with aspirations of sweet freedom crawl out and take a headlong dive a la Greg Louganis into the deep blue? This was bad business practice I said and I went inside to tell the manager I thought so.

I found the honcho and began laying it down. What were you thinking? A bucket full of live crabs near the water? I told him he was a fool for leaving so much of his business to chance, and at the sound of these words, the man perked up and began to fire back.

"You're the fool," he told me calmly. "Go outside and watch those crabs!"

I wondered what he was talking about. Perhaps there was someone outside watching the beasts to make sure they wouldn't crawl away; some young teenager perhaps in need of a summer job to pay for his martial arts classes. Or perhaps there was a clear lid on top of the barrel I had missed in my earlier observation.

But as I got outside, I looked and there was no one watching and no lid over them. But what I did see was remarkable. In the orgiastic clambering, if one of the animals attempted to crawl over the side of the barrel, the others around it would latch on and pull it back down into the abyss of crab Hades. None of the crabs could get out because the others made sure to it; it's in their nature.

There was a lesson to be learned there on that pier. There are crab equivalents in my life, I thought. There are those around me that try to pull me back down when I have my eye on the prize; the kind of people who, not always intentionally, draw me away from the goals I've set for myself.

We all want out of the bucket; in fact we go through great lengths to make sure that someday we will. But we all have crabs around us; boyfriend or girlfriend crabs, mother, father crabs, best friend crabs; the people who call us up to go out to a movie when it's time to train. And maybe it's in people's nature as well, after all, no one wants to go to a movie alone.

Then I realized there isn't much I can do to minimize my contact with some of those people around me because they're so close to me, but what I can do is keep my eye on the prize, stay focused on my vision and stick to the flight plan like I talked about before. The crabs may get their claws on my body, but if my mind can escape their grip, then the body will soon follow.

The grip of prying claws may not be easy to escape, but there are great rewards beyond the boundaries of the confining barrel. If you are able to identify those who are keeping you back, and free yourself from the allure of slacking off, you will find a vast ocean waiting for you to escape into as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment